Well! It’s day 6. I candled the Beilefelder eggs and it looks like there’ definitely development in three of them. A fourth appears to have started to develop before forming the red ring of death. That one also had a crack?! None of the Serama eggs I put in there are doing anything but they’re 2 and 3 months old and I knew it’d be a miracle for any of them to hatch. Still, I had to try! (I meant to hatch them earlier but who knew moving in and doing all this settling stuff would take all this time!)
Anyway, I am thrown by the color of these eggs. The brown makes it really hard to see what’s going on so I might have more developing but I definitely have at least two duds, at least one dead one, at least three developing, and the remaining eight are still a mystery to me. I am hoping I have more than three developing in there – if I end up with 3 chicks from 16 eggs this will be the saddest hatch ever. Even when shipping eggs I have always had at least 9 of 12 hatch… the few times I ordered 6 I ended up with 4 of six (granted two of those never pipped but they were fully formed!)
I am not sure if this sad rate is due to the breeder, the shipping, or my new incubator. This is the first time I have had an automatic roller or have hatched from this particular brand of incubator. It’s a Chinese one, only reads Celsius, and doesn’t allow for the humidity to be set as anything outside of 45%. It also seems to really struggle keeping it the right temp. Instead of getting too hot like my last incubator this one stays a few degrees too cold. It’s supposed to be 37.5 degrees Celsius. It’s chronically 37.1 or 37.2. This could be why these eggs seem to be developing much slower than usual. Still, when all is said and done, no matter who hatches, I will be popping open the failures to see what was up. If I find those eggs have not been fertilized in the first place I will know it wasn’t the incubator. I have this nagging suspicion this might be what I find… and if it is I’m complaining. I didn’t pay $90+ for unfertilized eggs! But let’s wait and see. Maybe I am being too cynical. And maybe if three hatch I will get two hens and a roo and everything will be fine as well. We just don’t know yet.
In the meantime I have decided to go for the Brabanters. We’ll be buying a box of 100 chicks around the same time these eggs are supposed to hatch. Despite my attempts otherwise this seems to be where I will be heading for now.